Charlene Burks, Administrative Director
Federal & State Compliance Office
Admission, Registration and Immunization Requirements
According to F.S. 1003.21, children must attain the age of 5 years of age on or before September 1 of the school year to meet the eligibility requirements for kindergarten; those who have attained the age of 6 years on or before September 1 of the school year, and provide evidence of satisfactorily completing kindergarten in a private school, or who otherwise meet the criteria for admission similar to other grades, shall progress according to the District’s student progression plan. All children enrolling in a District school shall meet the immunization requirements in F.S.1003.22, and provide evidence of a physical examination.
School Board Policy 5112 - Entrance Requirementsestablishes the admission and registration requirements for students entering school. The following documents are to be provided upon initial registration:
- original birth certificate;
- verification of age and legal name;
- proof of a physical examination by an approved health care provider including a tuberculosis clinical screening, appropriate follow-up, and a certificate of immunization;
- two (2) verification of parent/legal current residence (address)
- complete Disclosure at Time of Registration; and
- student residency questionnaire / Children and Youth In Transition Form FM-7378 Project UP-START (homeless)
Students transferring from out of state, other districts in Florida, or who are foreign born, must adhere to the same admission, and entrance requirements for registration.
All students are assigned to attend the school in the district where their parents/legal guardians reside, unless the child has received an assignment to another school through a Parent Choice Student Transfer, or through Miami-Dade County Public Schools’ School Choice & Parental Options. To find your neighborhood’s area schools, you may access www.dadeschools.net, select Schools, Find your Neighborhood School. The 2015-2016 Initial Entry Registration Procedures Handbook and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) have been linked for your convenience.
Much success this coming school year!